"My name is Ashley Pompey, I’m 35 years of age I have only started painting for about a year now, but I have developed a love for painting. Just recently I’ve won the ‘people’s choice award’ for the port Augusta ‘’Malka Art Prize’’ Exhibition, this has motivated me into further developing my art skill. I want to learn about quality materials and how to mix colours well."
Ashley Pompey is a self-taught artist and has a natural feel for dot art. He has worked and went to school in Ceduna. He always had the ambition to do dot paintings and ever since his done his first painting, his practice has developed into intricate and complex works of art in which he portrays his interest in animals, different textures and layout styles. Ashley’s painting is a performance—the way he controls his paint on his brush tip and stick, and the way his body has to endure the physical intensity of the variety of dot sizes he uses in his painting is impressive. The time and patience Ashley invests in his paintings illustrate his discipline for creating exceptional paintings.
- GaRa Mirnaarda, Ceduna Memorial Hall, 2016
- GaRa Mirnaarda, Port Augusta Cultural Centre, 2016
- Malka Art Exhibition, Port Augusta Cultural Centre Yarta Purtli, 2016
- Our Mob Exhibition, Adelaide Festival Centre, 2016
- Tarnanthi Art Festival, Tauondi Aboriginal College, Adelaide SA, 2015
- Panel front Fence, Ngura Yadurirn Children and Family Centre, Ceduna SA, 2016
- “Peoples Choice Award”, Malka Art Prize, Port Augusta, 2016
- “Country Arts SA Development Award”, Our Mob Exhibition, Adelaide Festival Centre, 2016